June 15, 2017 is the deadline to sign up for an Orientation session.
Orientation is Mandatory – If this is your first time as a degree seeking student at UConn Storrs you are required to attend Orientation in order to register for classes. First time degree seeking students CANNOT sign up for classes without having attended an Orientation session.
|Sample Schedule for the 2-Day Freshman Program will be put up shortly.|
Freshman Orientation Program Structure – Important Information for You to Know
The freshman orientation program is a fast-paced, two-day session that begins with check-in at 7:15 a.m. on the first day. The program ends at 5:00 p.m. on the second day.
- TIME ORIENTATION BEGINS: Check-in for freshman Orientation starts at 7:15 a.m. on the first day. Orientation program sessions extend late into the evening. Students are expected to stay with the program at all times and attend all program sessions. Students who choose to leave the program will be dismissed from Orientation and will register for classes before they begin in late August.
- BOTH DAYS REQUIRED: Attendance is required on both days of Orientation because student sessions conducted on the first day serve as pre-requisites for the sessions conducted on the second day. NO ONE CAN ATTEND ONLY ONE DAY OF THE TWO-DAY PROGRAM.
- ENDING TIME OF ORIENTATION: Orientation ends at 5:00 p.m. on the second day of the program. Students who choose to leave before the official end of the Orientation program will have the classes that they registered for at Orientation dropped from their schedule. Students can re-register for classes starting in late July when the Add/Drop process begins.
Cost to Attend
The cost of the two-day Freshman program is $230. This is a non-refundable charge.
For more information on why there is a charge for orientation, please visit our FAQs.
The orientation charge pays for:
- Meals during the program: Day 1 – lunch, dinner, and snack / Day 2 – breakfast and lunch
- One night’s lodging in a campus residence hall
- Program materials
- Programmatic and administrative costs for the program
- Funds some expenses for the HuskyWOW program (Week of Welcome) that occurs for new students the weekend before classes begin.
All forms of payment must be from a United States affiliated bank.
HOW TO CONFIRM YOUR ORIENTATION SESSION – Payment at the time the reservation is made confirms your reservation for the desired date.
WHAT HAPPENS IF PAYMENT IS NOT MADE WHEN THE RESERVATION IS MADE – If payment is not made at the time the online reservation form is completed the date is still open for other students to reserve. That means you can lose your Orientation date because another student who pays for the session can take it away from you.
There are three options for payment:
- Credit Card – online – through the orientation portal. Orientation Services accepts: Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American Express, Diners Club. This is the only way you can immediately confirm an Orientation session after making your reservation.
- Check or money order – mailed/postal service – all checks and money orders need to be made out to the “University of Connecticut.”For our mailing address, please visit our Contact Us page. Please note that your orientation reservation is not confirmed until the check is received by the Orientation Office. In the meantime your Orientation session can be taken away by another student who pays by credit card for that spot. A $25 fee will be charged for any check that is returned for insufficient funds.
- Online Home Bill Pay – If you do your banking electronically, you can make payments directly to UConn through your own bank’s online bill paying system! Set up UConn the same way you would any other payee. This is not an immediate payment, however because the bank usually sends the Orientation office a check. In the meantime the orientation date you selected could be taken away by another student who pays by credit card for that session.
Sign Up (Will start in Mid-April)
Visit the Freshman Orientation Sign Up page to review the session schedule and sign up.
Confirming Your Session
An email confirmation will be sent almost immediately after you submit your orientation reservation and payment. This email indicates you are “confirmed” for the session you selected. Any changes made to your orientation dates after the confirmation email is sent will incur rescheduling fees, regardless of whether the orientation charge has been paid. Emails are sent to the personal email address that the University has on file and your UConn email account.
Contact the Office of Orientation Services at (860) 486-4866 if you haven’t received your email confirmation within 24 hours of submitting your online Orientation reservation.
DO NOT MAKE TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS UNTIL YOUR SESSION IS CONFIRMED !
Please do not make any travel arrangements until you receive an email from the Office of Orientation Services confirming your assigned Orientation session. Make sure to take note the 5:00 p.m. ending time on the second day of the orientation program when you schedule your travel arrangements. The university is a 45 to 60 minute drive from Bradley International Airport in Hartford/Springfield.
Confirmed sessions may only be changed in case of an emergency and are based on session availability. For more information on the process and how to make a request, please visit our FAQs.
Please be advised that there is a $30 rescheduling fee for each request. Rescheduling requests made within five business days of your scheduled session date will be charged a $125 rescheduling fee.
Orientation is a mandatory program for first time degree seeking students at UConn, Storrs. There are sessions presented during the Orientation program that are mandated for new students by both the university and the State of Connecticut. There is no option to register for classes at UConn, Storrs without attending Orientation.